Monday, July 5, 2010

Moments from Mondays Gone By...

I have decided to use Mondays to remember the past. Sometimes this will take the form of new postings of past memories. Sometimes it will take the form of re-posting from previous blog and journal entries...like this one:

The Container Store
How did we do it? How did we ever get along in life before the Container Store?

I don't have the answer to that but I do know that we were more content. It is nearly impossible to walk through that store and remain content. (I know for many people that would be true of any store but I usually don't feel that gnawing discontent except in bookstores.) Now some of the discontent that is felt when meandering through aisle after aisle of plastic and polyurethane may be a positive and even necessary discontent. It is the discontent that makes you think of that secret place in your house that is in need of a good spring cleaning...that drawer, that closet...that room that is threatening to overstep its bounds and make its presence known to innocent bystanders who just happened to "drop by".

But that kind of discontent is not the focus of my rant. I want to dwell for a moment on that negative, unnecessary discontent. The discontent that goes shopping because you need 12 more hangers for your closet but walks out with 144 so all your hangers will match... The discontent that picks up a 12x12-in block of polyurethane that holds 48 tubes of lipstick and says,

"I need this."
Nobody needs a container that holds 48 tubes of lipstick...and if you do, discontent is not your only issue. Then there is the discontent that picks up a tiny container (no matter how cheap) and says,

"Oh, this is so cute...what could I put in it?"

Or even the discontent that says,

Teenager: "Hey, look! It's a bulletin board made out of compact strips of recycled paper."
Mom: "We just bought you a bulletin board."
Teenager: "But this one is made from recycled material."
Mom: "What are you going to do with the one we just bought you?"
Teenager: "Um...recycle it."
(All actual overheard conversations)
But whatever the cause of your discontent...whether be it necessary or inane...the Container Store has a box, bucket or basket you can put it in.

"I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength." Philippians 4:10-13

No comments:

Post a Comment